How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 34750
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am already on Klor Con 10 meq and my Potassium has gone up

Customer Question

I am already on Klor Con 10 meq and my Potassium has gone up to 3.1. I am hoping the extra pounds should fall off as I'm sure my body is in shock due to the hypokalemia. I just keep reading horror stories about rebound edema. I know it sounds vain and my health is more important but I am very weight conscious.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.Do you want to know that if your potassium would go up, would your regain weight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I recently got off a Triamterene/HCTZ tablet. My potassium dropped to 2.8. I would take it for edema particularly before my menstrual cycle. Since I've been off for 4 days I've gained 2-3 lbs. I keep reading about rebound edema. I'm back at 3.1 Potassium. I am otherwise healthy and 40 years old. No HBP but been on birth control since I was 19 with diuretic properties also. Does an episode of hypokalemia like this cause weight gain?
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
No. An episode of hypokalemia won't cause weight gain. Please do not worry.Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.