Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I am wondering what a level of 44 ALT means and is there anything

Customer Question

I am wondering what a level of 44 ALT means and is there anything I can do to lower this?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me just a bit more information so the Doctor can help you best. For example have you seen a Doctor for this and if so, has there been a diagnosis?
Customer: I just had the blood test done yesterday and haven't heard from my doctor. Three years ago the level was 29. I had my gallbladder out in 2013 and have pain in my right side every since. I had told the doctor this pain in 2014 and 2015 but he didn't seem to think much about it.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: That is the only thing that was high on the blood test.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Normal range of ALT is 0-40 IU/L.So your slight elevation in ALT with other liver enzymes normal doesn't suggest any serious issue.Your pain can be associated with post cholecystectomy syndrome.It is impaired bile flow resulting in indigestion,pain abdomen and sometimes nausea,vomiting,diarrhea.Other possible differential diagnosis of such right side pain may include Kidney stone,Muscle strain.You need to get an Ultrasound/CT scan abdomen for further diagnosis.You should eat fat free diet,avoid alcohol which can reduce your ALT levels in next few weeks.A referral to gastroenterologist is advisable.Hope this helps.Feel free for further queries. It's good to discuss rather than quit.Your satisfaction is our goal.We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.
Feel free for further queries. It's good to discuss rather than quit.Your satisfaction is our goal. Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get after positive feedback.We are here to help you until you satisfy.Thanks.