How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Anil Your Own Question
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 9144
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Anil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Embarrassing, but I have a large, painful abscess or boil on

Customer Question

Embarrassing, but I have a large, painful abscess or boil on my backside. I can't get in to see the dermatologist for 2 more weeks. Should I wait or go to my family doctor?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: It's large; golf ball size. Very warm and painful. Some pus did come out over the weekend. It's very hard to sit down. I'very had this for a couple weeks now. Started small and put benzoyl peroxide on it, but it only got bigger to the golf ball size it is now.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: That's about it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,What is your age?Do you have boil on buttock?History of Diabetes,etc?Are you taking any medications?Any other medical history?Thanks.Waiting for your response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 42 years old. I believe it is a boil on my buttock. Very large, warm and painful. I am not diabetic and yes, I do take prescription medications, but I have been on them for a while; no recent changes. I have never experienced anything like this before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I go to my family doctor for this or should I wait the 2 weeks for the dermatologist appointment?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.Well you should try some self care measures till you see your family doctor or dermatologist.Clean the area with betadine solution twice a day.Also apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream mixed with bacitracin ointment on affected area.Cover it with a sterile gauze.You may require antibiotics so family doctor can also help you.Your doctor may also incise it and drain the pus and do proper dressing for few days.You should use a cushioned pad or pillow while seating.Wear loose cotton clothes to prevent friction.Also take Motrin and Claritin.You shouldn't wait for dermatologist.Hope this helps.Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.Please to not forget a positive rating.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any further query we can discuss it thoroughly.We are here to help you until you satisfy.Positive feedback and bonus are appreciated if you are satisfied with our conversation.Thanks.