Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Six months ago my mvp was 7.1 Last week I was retested it was 7.0. Lab range is 7.5 to 11.

Customer Question

Six months ago my mvp was 7.1 Last week I was retested it was 7.0. Lab range is 7.5 to 11.5. All other blood results were normal. Is there something I should be concerned about? When the second test was done I was on Prednisones. Would that medication affect the results of the blood test? Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
Mean platelet volume (MPV) is a machine-calculated measurement of the average size of platelets.I do think your report should be checked by a pathologist manually as well.MPV may be low in people with low platelet count. I hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My platelet count is normal. When you say manually, what do you mean? My platelet count is 292. I also tested positive in 2012 for an ana. Titer was 1:160. My titer from 2014 was 1:80. My rheumatologist can't find anything wrong. I see her again next month to be retested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also had a complete hysterectomy in August of 2015. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
As your platelet count is fine so you shouldn't worry.MPV is calculated on automated hematology analyser.Manually means pathologist sees platelets under microscope.I assure you that chances of any serious health issues are not associated with low MPV.You shouldn't worry and relax.Hope this helps.Positive feedback and bonus are appreciated if you are satisfied with our conversation.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Is a positive ana connected to a low mvp? I'm just worried that having a low mvp could lead to something serious down the road. Thank you again, I will take your advice and not worry.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
Treatment given for ANA positive can cause low MPV.As your platelet count is fine so I don't make panic for low MPV.So just see your rheumatologist for a clinical examination.In the meantime eat a nutritious diet rich in fruits and vegetables.Hope this helps.Positive feedback and bonus are appreciated if you are satisfied with our conversation.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.Positive feedback and bonus are appreciated if you are satisfied with our conversation.Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
Hi,If you have any further question then you can ask me.I'm here to discuss further query until you get satisfaction.Positive feedback is appreciated.Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.Please to not forget a positive rating.