Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I was on depot shot once and still had period had

Customer Question
unprotected sex could I be...
I was on depot shot once and still had period had unprotected sex could I be pregnant
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I had one shot we had sex unprotected while on it my shot was in December I never had one again
JA: Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: I am very fertile 6 kids
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
4/6/2016
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago
LaKrystal Warren

The Depo shot lasts for three months. Depending on the exact date in December that you had your shot and when you had unprotected sex will help me determine if you could be pregnant. There is a small window of "forgiveness" when your next shot is due that you are still protected against pregnancy. If you had unprotected sex after this window, then you could get pregnant. If you got your shot on Dec 31 your next shot would have been due March 24, with a one week grace period until March 31. So if you didn't get another shot and had unprotected sex during after that date, you could be pregnant. If you received your shot earlier in December and didn't get another shot and just recently had unprotected sex, you could be pregnant. If you do not get your period at the expected time, you should take a pregnancy test.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a shot Dec 15th
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would be the chances of me being pregnant
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

If you had the shot December 15, your next shot would have been due March 8. Since you didn't get another shot and had unprotected sex, you have a 15-20% chance of being pregnant.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We had sex a few days ago, had period while on it and had sex while on it. How long do I wait to test. Some flows were heavier but I have 6 kids born in years of 08 2010,2012, 2013,2015
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2011
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

You should wait at least two weeks or until you miss your period before testing for pregnancy. A pregnancy test will not be accurate now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But did having a period while on it increase my chance of being pregnant
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

No that does not increase your chances for pregnancy. If you received the Depo and had a period, that is normal. The Depo only works for 3 months, but you had unprotected after it was no longer effective, so you have 15-20% chance of being pregnant. The times that you had sex while it was effective, you were protected against pregnancy.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so all the depo was out of my system at the time?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We had sex less than 4-5 days ago
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes, if you received Depo on Dec 15, all of it was out of your system after March 16. Since you had sex 4-5 days ago, there is a chance for pregnancy.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had some spotting a few days ago. Since it was out by March 16th we had sex around that time and after
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

The spotting could just be random, or it could be associated with ovulation, so if your period does not come when expected, take a pregnancy test.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

You are welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tested and it's very faint
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

If it is faint, it is likely positive and you are newly pregnant. You should retest in a few days and if it is positive, go to the doctor for blood work to confirm the pregnancy.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have very light pink spotting as well
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

It could be implantation bleeding from early pregnancy or it could be spotting before a period. Wait a few days and if you get your period, you aren't pregnant. If you don't get your period, retake a test and see if it is a stronger positive. Then you will know for sure if you are pregnant.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok because I took 3 tests all faint
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

So you are probably pregnant and having implantation bleeding. But wait and retake the test/see if you get your period to be sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

You are welcome. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will, one more question because I was on depo if I am pregnant is their risks
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

There are no risks even if you got pregnant while on Depo, however, all Depo was out of your system when you got pregnant, so there is nothing to worry about.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks again!!
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

No problem!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Am I allowed to upload a pic and you tell me if you See the line it's just so faint I feel like I'm going crazy lol
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

Sure, I can look at the picture of the pregnancy test.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This was one of them
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

I don't see a line in that one, but it might be the picture.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok because we seen it could be pic I'll deff retest
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

I think that's a good idea so you can be sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the new test are you able to see it now. I had recently moved so my health insurance is not covered where I'm at yet
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

Looks like a faint line in the positive but it is hard to tell in the photo.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is very faint.
Health Professional: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

If you are pregnant and it is a normal pregnancy, it should get stronger each day. If it is very early, it can take time. I know that you want to know right away, but to have a definitive answer, I recommend retesting in one week.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you
LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren