Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

This week i had lower abdominal discomfort and frequent urge

Customer Question
hi this week i had lower...
hi
this week i had lower abdominal discomfort and frequent urge to enter the toilet and my stool was not as solid as before and it had a foul smell and had many gases. A doctor told me it is most probably Gastroentits due to a dirty food or something.
no vomiting
no fever
no nausea
no stomach ache
only semi solid stool, foul smell, many gases and lower abdominal discomfort.
doctor prescribed me- 2 g of secnidazole as a single dose only on e and to be repeated just for next week only for once as well.
CONCLUSION - i took the dose and woke up with a very loose stool, i entered the toiled 4 times till now since i woke up.
is this normal after taking this dose? does this medicine intend to flush out the dirt out of my stomach through loose stool?
or it shouldn't. if not then what could it be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
3/24/2016
Health Professional: DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor (MD)
This is Dr Diego, experienced Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I understand your concerns.

The treatment that you received for gastroenteritis sometimes can cause loose stools. Secnidazole is used to treat parasitic infections. In your specific case you should wait and drink enough fluids to stay hydrated. If you continue to have loose stools for more than 24 hours you should go back to your doctor.

The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.
Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.
Kindest regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok still my question is - what if its not from the medicine, then what might it be due to my stated case and symptoms?

In case your symptoms are not cause by the medication, other things that could cause the problem are: viral infections, lactose intolerance, bacterial infections, parasitic infections (less likely) and drug induced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could IBS be a cause?

IBS could be the cause of your problem. However IBS is defined by chronicity. In your case with only one episode IBS is less likely the diagnosis. Several episodes of diarrhea over a prolonged period of time would make IBS more likely.

DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor (MD)