How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Anil Your Own Question
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 9135
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Anil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ear is bleeding from q tip what should I do? Had q tip in

Customer Question

My ear is bleeding from q tip what should I do?
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Had q tip in ear when showering and bumped it hard when washing hair.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.


When was this incident happened?

Is it profuse and persistent bleeding?

Pain in ear?

Any hearing loss?


Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.


Possibly you have either injured the skin covering the external auditory canal or the bleeding you see on the Q-tip is due to a very small blood vessel that has broken due to repeated irritation.

In most of the cases,this should heal on its own without intervention.

You should apply cool compresses outside the ear.

You can make a small cotton plug, wet it with betadine solution and pack the ear with this plug.

Do take care do this very gently and not push it hard inside.

You should also avoid getting any water into the ear.

For pain you can take OTC Motrin and claritin.
In case you have profuse bleeding and pain,hearing loss then visit ER otherwise make an appointment with your ENT specialist for a clinical examination.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please to not forget a positive rating.