How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35783
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has severe hiccups that have lasted for 4 days

Customer Question

my husband has severe hiccups that have lasted for 4 days looking for a doctor in Tucson for him to see
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: he took Tamiflu and right after starting hiccupping he went to his pcp who prescribed him lithium but it isn't working
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: no he was fine before
JA: Our top Doctor is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Doctor in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Doctor until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.


I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Following can be tried at home for hiccups;

1) Stimulation of the throat by a small tube or catheter

2) Stimulation of the uvula by a spoon

3) Valsalva

4) Tapping or rubbing back of the neck

5) Forcible traction on the tongue,

6) Swallowing granulated sugar,

7) Gargling with water,

8) Sipping ice water,

9) Biting on a lemon

Please read the resource;

If these measures are unable to stop the hiccups; you may need to take him to an urgent care clinic for evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.