A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have been having an issue the past few weeks and its

Customer Question

Hello All, I have been having an issue the past few weeks and its freaking me out but I dont know if I am overreacting or what. But its freaking me out though. I have been having random incidents randomly through the day or at random times will I will all of a sudden think about my breathing or focus on it and I feel like I have to focus on breathing. Its kind of hard to explain but maybe its a shortness of breath or something but it will feel like I am not breathing naturally and have to focus on it. It will randomly happen anytine like this morning, I was on the train was reading and I thought about it and felt the sensation. When it happens it freaks me out because it makes me think I am going to have to start gasping for air or going to have an heart attack.
This all started a few weeks ago when I was napping on my sofa at night after work and woke up breathing hard. Now I do have apnea but it freaked me out then. Ever since then I have seemed to be having these episodes come on. They will last for a while an hour maybe sometimes longer until maybe I get distracted by something else or dont think about it anymore. Sometimes like this morning I may even feel off maybe off balance maybe light headed but not really. Sorry its all hard to explain.
Now I will say I have anxiety with health issues, I always fear the worst and when something happens I tend to focus on it and think nothing of it, so is this what is happening to me I am making this happen to myself or is this something more. I made an appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning to see because I am also have heal pain, but I am bringing this up because its really scaring me. Please help any advise?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

What treatment are you having for your anxiety?

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

None, it hasn't been diagnosed so to say. I just know thats how I am mentally. Tomorrow would probably be the first time will address the issue if thats what this is, my guess it is.

Hi again,

Yes, anxiety is my best guess as well. I think if you have that treated, and use your CPAP machine as well as trying to lose a little weight you will find the symptoms disappear.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But what is causing me to have the breathing episodes. Is thatg anxiety? Like I wont even be thinking of anything,

Yes, it's the anxiety that is causing the "breathing episodes." There is no actual problem with your breathing, you just feel like there is, or is going to be. The fact that they stop when you are distracted means that there is no organic cause. Anxiety can trigger all kinds of physical symptoms. In fact we treat more panic attacks in the ER than we do heart attacks. A panic attack is just an extreme form of anxiety.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but is it possible to just develop panic attacks and to ha e them through the day out of the blue , not even when you are worried about something. Like reading a book this morning or just when I think about breathing.

Yes it is possible to have anxiety that causes these thoughts to come to you throughout the day regardless of what you are doing. Some people can wake up from a nap with them. It doesn't take any particular trigger to have the thoughts appear. Treating the anxiety eliminates the irrational thoughts.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thats actually what happned the first time, it happened I woke up from a nap.

Anxiety disorders can happen that way. No one knows precisely why a patient is fine one minute and worried he can't breathe the next. We just know that people with anxiety behave that way.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~