How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Bray, MD Your Own Question
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 10341
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Anthony Bray, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had constant stomach and bowel issues for several

Customer Question

I have had constant stomach and bowel issues for several years. I have had my gall bladder removed and a stomach wrap to control acid reflux. I still have severe stomach cramps and urgent diarrhea. The diarrhea is now yellow with undefeated food and looks acidic or frothy. I have had two bouts of h pylori before having the gall bladder surgery. I am at a loss.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.


The yellowish diarrhea sounds that you may have a lower GI infection.I would recommend that stool samples be checked for cultures / leukocytes / C.diff/ ova and parasites...

One possible issue to the years of diarrhea though may relate to the gallbladder removal...once the gallbladder is removed there is a more continual flow of bile into the small intestine and that may in many people be an irritant ...chronic loose stool or diarrhea can be a result of that

This problem may be helped by trying a bile acid sequestrant medicine ( Questran or Welchol ) are a couple of examples

The long term trouble that you describe could be due to inflammatory bowel disease as another possible cause ( ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease) If one of these were a source of trouble then a different treatment strategy would be needed ...

You should be under the case of a gastroenterologist...

You should have a colonoscopy and stool studies mentioned above ...

A trial of a bile acid sequestrant may help certain cause of the chronic diarrhea as mentioned above

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD