Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Son has 22,000 blood count. Think he has good loosening. Low…

Customer Question
Son has 22,000 white...

Son has 22,000 white blood count. Think he has good loosening. Low on and off fever and threw up until he took medication for nausea. Does he need to get blood iv antibiotics

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Food poisoning not loosening But we were at Disneyland he could have anything

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
3/7/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)

Is he able to keep liquids down now?

Loose stools?

Fever?

Pain abdomen?

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Health Professional: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

The WBC of 22,000 is very concerning ...

He should be undergoing evaluation at the hospital is WBC is that high ...

Do you know if he has high neutrophils ( that would be more consistent with a bacterial infection )

This could be such as appendicitis or pneumonia as possible causes

He should be at hospital undergoing evaluation for such a high WBC though ....yes many causes would be in need of IV antibiotics ...

He should have physical exam ...based on exam may need added tests >>> depending on direction of his symptoms and clinical picture and exam he may warrant such tests as chest xray / abdominal CT / blood smear ....

When did he first get sick ?

How much fever has he had?

Is he home now? At ER ? Other ??

If abdominal pain and vomiting and rising fever then an intra-abdominal infection could be a concern ....

If rapid pulse / rapid breathing / cough then pneumonia could be a possible concern ...

The bot***** *****ne is that the WBC is very serious and he should be at hospital now being checked further with that high if WBC .....

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor