Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I had a CT scan tonight and they blew the vein in my arm. I…

Customer Question
I had a CT scan...
I had a CT scan tonight and they blew the vein in my arm. I have been icing and heating every 10 minutes for the last two hours and it is still swelling and the skin is patchy red. Should I return to the hospital?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
3/4/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)

It's Superficial phlebitis often caused by an injury to a vein during injection.It usually improves on its own in a few days, although it may take a few weeks for the lump to disappear.

Treatment usually consists of cool compresses initially and then after warm compresses,application of Bacitracin ointment mixed with Hydrocortisone cream,Topical heparin ointment(if there is bluish discoloration).

You can also take ibuprofen and claritin for 3 days.

Hope this helps.

Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please to not forget a positive rating.

.

Let me know if you have any further query we can discuss it thoroughly.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Thanks.

Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)