Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My husband is violent in his sleep he curse, he swings his…

Customer Question
My husband is violent...

My husband is violent in his sleep he curse , he swings his arms he is always fighting or crying in his sleep, he remembers nothing and when he awakes he sees bugs or square shapes in the morning

Doctor's Assistant: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?

This is getting worse I just want to know if its a empending health issue or what he only has high blood that's it and a little over weight

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
3/1/2016
Health Professional: Janne Nissinen,
 replied 2 years ago
Janne Nissinen

I’m Dr. Janne Nissinen, a board certified neurologist.

Please note that this is an information request and does not substitute an in person visit to a physician or an official diagnostic process. The advice given here is for information purposes only.

Health Professional: Janne Nissinen,
 replied 2 years ago

A few more questions:

How old is your husband? Does he have any memory problems? Does he shuffle when he walks? Does he fall while walking? Does he have any tremors in his hands or legs?

He is 62 no tremble walks good
Health Professional: Janne Nissinen,
 replied 2 years ago

To me it sounds like he has what is called "REM sleep behavior disorder" or RBD for short. It's a condition in which the person acts out their dreams. Normally an individual is functionally paralyzed in REM sleep (the stage of sleep we dream in) so that we do not act out our dreams. When this system fails and there is no paralysis, the person can act our their dreams, often in a violent matter which in turn can lead to injuries to themselves and their partner.

To formally diagnose the disorder, he will need a sleep study to document it and have him observed overnight. It is a treatable condition with certain medications.

Sometime the disorder is associated with parkinson's disease or other neurodegenerative diseases but can start 20 years before other symptoms occur or it can simply remain an isolated disorder.