Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My wife has chlamydia and i have not cheated, so i want to…

Customer Question
My wife has chlamydia...

My wife has chlamydia and i have not cheated, so i want to know how long it could have been dormant in me or her.

Doctor's Assistant: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.

Before i accuse her of cheating

Doctor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?

She recently had cancer treatment, which means it is very unlikely that she cheated in any way... concerned

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
I have no symptoms and we have been together for 10 years. Prior to this period, we were both fairly liberal in our sex lives
3/1/2016
Health Professional: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

chlamydia doesn't lay dormant.

if she has chlamydia currently, she must have contacted it from sexual practice recently.

this could be a sign she is having sex with someone else

let me know if you have questions.

I have read elsewhere that it is known as the silent infection because it is often symptomless and can lie dormant for up to 20 years. I have also read that it can lay dormant in the stomach? Not sure if this is true. I need to know if there are other ways to get it, or (unlikely) whether one of us could have been carrying this for years and never transmitted it to the other (we use condoms often as birth control, but not always).

Dormant is the wrong word, never dormant. Chlamydia can be present in men probably 1+ years with no symptoms. In women can be present 18-24 months with no symptoms. Anything longer while possible would be vary rare.