Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

The left part of the front of my tongue is red and swollen.

Customer Question
The left part of...

The left part of the front of my tongue is red and swollen. In the last couple of weeks it has felt like there is a popcorn hull on the side of my tongue and sometimes on the top. Where my tongue is red on the tip it also burns. I worry about cancer on my tongue. My dentist doesn't think it is but is concerned about the swelling. I was on a course of antibiotics for a week but it is still sore. He said that he felt a small lump but thought my salivary gland was swollen and caused this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doctor's Assistant: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?

I don't smoke or chew I am 68

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
3/1/2016
Health Professional: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Although the risk of cancer is very low, nobody can rule out without a biopsy.

Given the persistent sore lump, it is better to go for a biopsy after consulting with an oral surgeon.

In most cases, this is a viral infection and tends to improve gradually over time.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist