Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I was taking ortho tricyclen lo since June 2014 recently…

Customer Question
I was taking ortho...

I was taking ortho tricyclen lo since June 2014 recently since I have new insurance I was switched to Tri lo sprintec . Since I started I've been bloated and just feeling like my period is about to start on Wednesday I started spotting and it hasn't stopped its now Saturday. I was just wondering if the pill is still effective in preventing me from ovulating since I'm spotting .

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I don't want to be to personal but my husband and I had sex on the 14th (1st day of the new pack of tri sprintec) the 18th and the 26th . My fertile days were the 18th-24th and my supposed ovulation day was the 23rd . I track everything even though I'm in the pill .

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
2/27/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN Lo and Sprintec contains same ingredients called as norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol. But the dose of them are different. Ortho cyclen Lo contains 0.180 mg of the progestational compound, norgestimate while Sprintec contains 0.250. And that is responsible for the side effects you are experiencing. While efficacy of the contraception is not compromised, but there can be different side effects. These side effects are likely to settle down in 2-3 months. So you do not need to worry about the pregnancy as both of them all likely to be same efficacy. But if these adverse effects linger on and continue; you may ask your doctor to shift you back to ortho tricyclen lo.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/