Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I took my brouther to the docter and they said his ggt was…

Customer Question
I took my brouther...

I took my brouther to the docter and they said his ggt was over 100 hes been drinking for 30 years can u explain what that means I wasn't with him and he doesn't understand

Doctor's Assistant: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.

That's all the doc said and stay away from alcohol

Doctor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?

They told me mine was 34 and hes was over 100 so I was wondering what that meant

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
2/26/2016
Health Professional: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

GGT is a blood test for a liver enzyme which can be elevated in patients who have long term alcohol use

I agree with his doctor. your brother needs to stop his alcohol use.

if he continues to drink daily, he will over time continue to damage his liver and his liver could develop problems with cirrhosis and liver failure in the future.

he also increases his risks for stomach ulcers and other problems with long term alcohol use.

if he has difficulty not drinking, he should ask for help and go into a support group or counseling group to quit alcohol.

I hope he is willing to do that

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com