Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My name is ***** ***** and I have constant pressure in my…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** and I have constant pressure in my chest as well as my upper back. I've had a CT Scan with negative results. Recently it's been getting worse and its especially uncomfortable at night. I have no gallbladder so I know it's not that but the pressure is very scary.

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It's more on the right side near or behind my shoulder-blade. I've also experienced debilitating chest pain where it literally cripples me. It subsides after I sip water. It's happened twice and both times I thought I was going to die. No exaggeration.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
2/26/2016
Health Professional: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

do you have excessive anxiety symptoms? anxiety can cause you to have chest pressure and shortness of breath symptoms

if you have acid reflux or heart burn or sour stomach symptoms, this can cause stomach acid to come up into your esophagus and cause pressure in your chest.

you could be having esophageal muscle spasms as well which can cause severe chest pains.

you might need to see a GI doctor who can look down into your esophagus and stomach to check for stomach acid damage.

you might need to try stomach acid reducing medications and see if that helps.

you might have to change your diet to avoid alcohol, spicy foods, tomato sauces to see if this helps reduce stomach acid and acid reflux.

how old are you?

do you have a primary care doctor who can refer you to a GI doctor?

do you have anxiety symptoms?

I have no unusual anxiety (outside of what these symptoms are causing me). I've had an upper G.I. with negative results and I've had P.T. for a possible pinched nerve. The symptoms have been with me for four years now and just keep getting worse. It sounds crazy. Yes, I have a PCD and we've done a CT Scan but it's not revealing anything. Furthermore, I do not take any meds. None. And I'm both in decent shape and take my vitamins daily. I also have a wonderful outlook on most everything and am in good spirits, even in such constant discomfort. I would swear there is something in my chest that's growing. Is there another test I should ask my doctor for? Also, my blood pressure seems to spike when the pressure gets bad. It's more towards the back than the front. Could it be something going on in another organ such as the liver or kidney and I'm having referred pain? What other imaging can be done that I should ask my doctor to order? Thanks for your help.

PCD is Primary ciliary dyskinesia?

you can ask your doctor for esophageal pH measurement

it doesn't sound like you have an upper endoscopy to look down into your stomach.

you can ask your doctor to try medications like bentyl or hyoscyamine which could help calm down esophageal spasms.

the CT Scan would have seen anything structurally wrong in your chest.

there is nothing in your chest which is growing.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

PCD is short for Primary Care Doctor (perhaps I should have written PCP). I have had an upper endoscopy - nothing happening. I do have Hidradenitis suppurativa which was diagnosed in my teens. I am 53. I had surgery under my arms to remove the diseased tissue which was severe. Is it possible that I have lesions inside now? Come to think of it...this didn't begin until after that surgery. Is there imaging that can be done to see if there are lesions inside now?

surgery can cause scar tissue.

scar tissue under the arm can restrict movement.

but usually wouldn't cause pain in your chest

Last question, would an MRI be better to view soft tissue issues than a CT Scan? Would it reveal something different?

no, an MRI scan of your chest would not show anything more than a chest CT scan.

MRI scans of large areas are not very good for detail

they are better for smaller areas like the knees, the brain, the spine.

it is more difficult to get a strong magnetic field over a large area like the chest

chest CT scans actually have better detail resolution than an MRI scan of the chest.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com