Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My legs and feet have beenswelling for a few years now and…

Customer Question
My legs and feet...

My legs and feet have beenswelling for a few years now and my legs are leaking a yellowish fluid quite regularly and it is painful

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I am on high blood pressure meds water pills

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
2/26/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Your symptoms are suggestive of;

1) Lymphatic blockage. Or

2) Incompetent veins.

Both of these can be concomitant sometimes. The investigations which can help in the diagnosis is a colored doppler study (it is a specialized ultrasound).

Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

5) Stockinette.

Throbbing pain can be helped by;

1) Analgesics

2) Acupuncture

3) A very mild massage; keeping the massage direction towards heart.

4) Electrical stimulation; this is a small device which physical therapy centers would give your for the home use.

You may also be prescribed water pill (diuretic) which helps in decreasing the swelling as well as regulating the blood pressure.

Following is comprehensive list of swelling in legs

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/