Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I have had chest pain and occadional left arm pain for the

Customer Question

I have had chest pain and occadional left arm pain for the last couple of years. It comes and goes. It always goes away when I'm lying down. every symptom goes away. EKG and BP are normal per PCP.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: That is all the information.
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Doctor now?
Customer: sure
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

What is your age?

Do you have neck pain?

Stress and anxiety?

Heartburn?

Prolonged hours of computer work,mobile use?

Numbness,tingling sensation in arm?

Cough,shortness of breath?

Smoking and alcohol consumption?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 47 years old. I occasionally have neck pain, but it is on the right, not the left. It is stress related. I work 14-16 hours a day for a neurosurgical group. I don't think I have heartburn. I am on the computer 10-12 hours a day. occasionally get tingling in my left arm, which goes away when I am lying down. No cough or SOB. I smoke 4 cigarettes a day, no alcohol.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had this for several years. My PCP did an EKG which was normal, blood pressure is great.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

As per your description,it's related to cervical spondylosis.

You should get a X-ray/MRI of cervical spine.

When you do work for long hours so the muscles get over exerted in neck and they compress nerves passing through vertebrae causing pain,tingling sensation supplying to the sites.

And when you lying down and get rest then such overexerted muscles relax.

Other possible differential diagnosis may include

Benign chest wall pain - a transient and fleeting irritation of the pleura, the slippery membrane that lines and protects the lungs.
Panic attack -an episode of incredibly intense fear or apprehension that is of sudden onset which include symptoms like chest pain etc.

Gastritis

Costochondritis

Chest X-ray/CT scan can be done.

You can try neck strengthening and stretching exercises.

Take short breaks during work.

And discuss these possibilities with your PCP if these symptoms are gradually getting worse over the years.

Echocardiography can be done also.

Feel free for further queries. It's good to discuss rather than quit.

Your satisfaction is our goal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will get an order for a cervical spine MRI and then go from there. It makes sense since I am constantly on the computer and the phone, mix that with the extended work hours. I will start there and see what we can find.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Welcome.

I also advise you to go for MRI cervical spine rather than suffering from pain.

A definite diagnosis should be ruled out to get proper treatment accordingly.

If you are satisfied with our conversation then bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Feel free for further queries.
Hope this helps.

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Your satisfaction is our goal.
Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Thanks.