A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Have been diagnosed 4 years its been controlled with

Customer Question

Have been diagnosed for about 4 years its been controlled with metformin i was bad about testing and had my 6 year blood draw and my numbers were doubled from the last test my a1c was 7.2 and this time it was 11.3 and my blood first morning was397 now its up to 460 1 hour after eating lunch i have an appt monday but don't know how high is too high
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: no but i was put on ibuprofen 600 for a bone spur in dec and i still have pain walking on it i though maybe that is why its high!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear how out of control your blood glucose has become. In diabetics, we like to see A1C below 7.0%. Fasting blood glucose should be below 130 mg/dL and glucose 2 hours after eating should be below 180 mg/dL. An A1C of 11.3% translates to an average blood glucose of 277 mg/dL over the past three months. Ideally, you would not have had even one reading at that level.

Your numbers are seriously out of control and I'm relieved to hear you are seeing your provider on Monday. No doubt your metformin dose will be increased and/or you will be put on a second drug to get back to more healthy levels.

If you are overweight you can try to lose some of the excess. Even a drop of 5% in body weight can help. And of course everyone needs 30-60 minutes of exercise most days of the week (brisk walking is fine).

While stress and pain can cause some increase in blood glucose, it doesn't cause this level of increase. A modest increase from 7.2% to maybe 8% might be expected, but not from 7.2% to 11.3%.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~