How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 29065
Experience:  MD
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My TSH just came back at .94 (not sure yet about whether

Customer Question

Hi, my TSH just came back at .94 (not sure yet about whether they tested for free T4 and other markers, but I have been walking an average of 15 miles a week and have gained weight, even though I'm watching calories and eat very healthy). I'm going to be 48 in a week and am still menstruating (I have been since the age of 10 1/2) and I'm miserable, I am trying so hard and can't lose weight. Should I get a referral to an Endocrinologist?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I am anemic but they are trying to find the source of that (it may be Thalassemia, but the test results haven't come back yet).
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Difficult to lose weight can be due to the slow down of your metabolism with aging process.

However free T4 level should be checked.

Besides thyroid, you may have adrenal gland disorder.

Excess cortisol level can cause weight gain.

Another possibility can be insulin resistance which causes weight gain as well.

Hence you should see an endocrinologist for further evaluation.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

Related Health Questions