Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My nails are haggard looking - i have had blood work and

Customer Question
besides some low iron i...
my nails are haggard looking - i have had blood work and besides some low iron i am fine - yet my nails look like hey belong on a 70 year old woman- i also used the medication grenadur (?) and nothing they have the pale bottom - darker line - and then just look like i smoke on the tips i don't smoke
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm healthy work out just bad nails
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: good to know -
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
2/17/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

This may occur due to a variety of conditions.These include deficiency of nutrients like Iron deficiency, biotin and niacin, vitamin deficiencies like Vitamin C ,B5, B12 and folic acid. Repeated wetting and drying of the nails may also cause the problem.

Exposure to certain detergents and chemicals may also be responsible, repeated minor trauma to the nails will also cause this. Use of nail polish remover should be limited to not more than twice a month. Lack of adequate proteins in the diet can also be causative. Consuming a diet which is rich and balanced will help prevent such nail issues.

Regular use of thick creams like Neostrata (contains alpha hydroxyacids/Elon (contains Lanolin) after wetting the nails, especially at bedtime, to hydrate the nails may help. Lastly thyroid disorder should be ruled out by the blood work, if not yet done.

An opinion from a Dermatologist may help if symptoms persist. Taking colloidal mineral and multivitamin supplements may also help.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)