Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My left middle finger started twitching the other day. Its a…

Customer Question
My left middle finger...

My left middle finger started twitching the other day. Its a new onset, never experienced before. I have had muscle spasms in my face and eye lids. they last for a little while and then go away.

Doctor's Assistant: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.

The twitching in my left hand comes and goes. I can get it to stop by squeezing my hands. It can be hours in between the twitching. there is no pain associated with the twitching. The spasms in my face I have had for more than 15 years. I do have a recent history of prostate cancer, and cholecystectomy this last December. I take 600 mg of Actigol twice daily. I am 5'9'' about 165lbs. In relatively good health, I am 53 years old. I do not believe there are Neurological disease in my familial history, however I never knew my biological maternal grandfather

Doctor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?

I do have high cholesterol and drink a lot of diet soft drinks. I am a retired firefighter Paramedic. My retirement is due to issues related to my previous bout with prostate cancer. I have been cancer free for over 3 years now. Recent 12 lead EKG was normal with no indication of ischemia, or dysrhythmia.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
2/17/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)

Twitching finger can occur secondary to benign muscle spasms, dietary deficiencies, or electrolyte imbalance.

Nutritional deficiencies can alter electrolyte levels, which might cause twitching fingers.
Calcium, magnesium or potassium levels that are below normal often produce twitching or muscle cramps. Diets low in calcium or high in carbonated soda consumption can contribute to abnormally low blood calcium levels and subsequent muscle twitching. Carbonated soda may also deplete magnesium levels.

Involuntary twitching might also be a symptom of nerve injury or compression in it's path.

Other possible cause may include benign fasciculation syndrome might begin with twitching fingers, involuntary muscle spasms of the eyelids, limbs, or face. The spasms may occur intermittently or continuously and generally cease upon purposeful movement of the affected area.

So you should see your doctor for a clinical examination and if required complete blood work,NCV with EMG should be done.

Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please to not forget a positive rating.

Let me know if you have any further query we can discuss it thoroughly.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Thanks.