Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

A friend was going to have surgery for carpal tunnel surgery…

Customer Question
A friend was going to...
A friend was going to have surgery for carpal tunnel surgery today and during pre-op testing his white cell count went up to 18? What could this mean...they cancelled surgery on wrist as well as dental surgery scheduled soon.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
2/15/2016
Health Professional: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

That suggests likely underlying infection --can be UTI, or sinus infection.

Another possibility can be blood cell malig***** *****ke leukemia or lymphoma --risk is low but still in differential.

Hence further evaluation is required.

Blood count also should be repeated to make sure the reading was correct.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/