How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 29245
Experience:  MD
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had postpardom Thyroiditis 7 years ago after my first

Customer Question

I had postpardom Thyroiditis 7 years ago after my first child... things seem to normalize. However, I have these flares of muscle aches, cramps, stiffness, fatigue that come on quickly and dissapate quickly. They can last for days or more than a week. I just had blood work done and my MCV/MCH were both a bit high and my CPK was 206. Otherwise I am super healthy... all other blood work is great. I have also heard testing TSH and T4 is not conclusive to detect thyroid issues if my body is not properly converting to Free T3 and T4... trying to figure out where I go from here. MCV was 97.2 ad MCH was 32.6. I am 47
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: My broad list of sympotoms seem to fit thyroidism, but my weight only flucates from 128 - 132. & years ago I did lose 10 pouds and then gained it back when my body normalized, but my weight is very steady.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause high MCV/MCH and muscle symptoms.

That should be checked.

TSH value should be below 3.5 to be normal.

Both T3 and T4 levels ( free) can be checked.

TPO antibody levels also can be checked --which will suggest active autoimmune condition if comes back elevated.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - can you also address my question about having CPK of 206... I know the normal range is 26 - 192... is 206 High or just a bit high or likely high if my thyroid is not functioning. Reading about high CPK is a bit scary.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

CPK 206 is not considered high --can be seen with normal physical activities.

However your thyroid issue should be addressed as i stated earlier --TSH should be below 3.5, also TPO level.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have heard that some people suffer from thyroid issues and can have a 2.5 TSH... that on average, TSH of thyroid sufferers have a 2.5 TSH. As well, if my thyroid only acts up when my body is stressed/under attack - virus - alergies (which totally aggrevate my symptoms) and then normalizes on its own, wouldn't taking medication be a challenge. I would have to have my blood tested cnstantly it would seem
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

The dose of levothyroxine can be adjusted increasing in times of stress and then lowering it if required.

Thyroid treatment does require periodic blood check for better adjustment.

High TPO antibody level will suggest likely thyroid deficiency even though TSH in normal range.

That should be treated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think of Methylation... how do you test for that?
Also, I definitely diet and allergies act as aggrevators... what are the best test for food intolerances that may be genetic?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Only recognized tests for food allergies --skin allergy testing and blood antibody levels.

Methyl malonic acid is better test to check for vitamin B12 deficiency.

No other recognized or standardized testing for methylation available.

Best wishes