A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Drug testing, im on probation and get drug tested..i came up

Customer Question

drug testing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: im on probation and get drug tested..i came up possative for morphine..i have been using heroin for 2 months..i also just got a prescription for codeine..when i test tomorrow can they tell the difference between the codeine and haroin ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this type of drug test will tell the difference. Tests that just use a dipstick might be confused, but court-required drug testing sends the sample to the lab to be tested via gas chromatography and/or mass spectrophotometry. They actually test for metabolites, not the pure drug itself. Every drug has different metabolites, so the metabolite for heroin will be positive and so will the metabolite for cocaine.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~