Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My wife has had 3 broken bones in her leg and diagnosed with…

Customer Question
My wife has had 3...
My wife has had 3 broken bones in her leg and diagnosed with osteoporosis and her knee is frozen from scar tissue. Should she have a total knee replacement now or later. She is 57.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
2/12/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Knee replacement is not advocated with osteoporosis and fracture bones. The implant does not stay with the weak bones and there is high likelihood of failure. Once the bone density returns normal with the calcium and vitamin D supplements, knee replacement would be advised.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

The treatment of osteoporosis are;

1) administration of adequate calcium,

2) vitamin D,

3) anti-osteoporotic medication such as bisphosphonates, parathyroid hormone (PTH), raloxifene, and estrogen.

In addition, possible underlying causes of osteoporosis such as hyperparathyroidism and hyperthyroidism should be ruled out or treated if detected.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Hope your wife is doing good.

Please let me know if I can do anything further.

Best wishes and warm regards,

Let me know if I can do anything more for you.