A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I got a sore throat out of no where and im very health

Customer Question

I got a sore throat out of no where and im very health anxious about cancer due to my smoking history and unhealthy lifestyle stress , sedentary lifestyle and bad not eating enough eating habits how easily is laryngeal cancer contracted due to above things I stated ? I never got a sore throat out of no where like this
Category: Health
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Did you see your throat with the mirror? If not, you should look at it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does that mean see my throat in the mirror
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Never mind. In heavy cigarette smokers, there is a 5- to 25-fold increased risk of cancer compared with nonsmokers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats heavy? And why im worried maybe unecessarily is cause i domt just have sore throat out of the blue but i also have clubbed not extremely but definitely noticeable to me finger tips snd theni have the wheezing so i feel eventho i still pretty young for oung cancer that my lifestyle and amoking history eventho not heavy in my opinion, were still enough for me to contract n give myself cancer thanks to and from smoking
I see someone who just gof diagnosed with lung and brain cancer and she had very clubbed fingers terribly clubbed especially for a lady
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Heavy smokers are those who smoke greater than or equal to 25 or more cigarettes a day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think i know what triggered my strangely sore throat
Last sunday i bought some white stuff i was hoping was cocaine but it was by far not cocaine i did not snort any of it or smoke it but i did out some on my tongue twice and i mistakenly inhaled some of the airborne dust/powder that formed when i poured it into a paper coffee cup to inspect it better and see if it had a familiar smell again i didn't purposely inhale it but i went to smell contents in cup to soon after i dumped contents in cup and i inhaled some of the dust powder and i immiadately had to go to bathroom move my bowels and i aso felt very flushed snd my face turned red, but aside from moving my bowels i didnt feel anything negative , i also blew my nose as best I could to try and push out whatever dust got in i also threw out the r st of the powder and tubular shaped rocks thought it may have been chalk being that it had a chalkbliie smell but a medicine/poison like chalk smell. Now my throat hurts out of no where as of thursday and my nose congest d and leaking also my head feel very pressured and my pupils pretty dialated as compared to normal and i dont know what to do or where to see being that i dont know what i inhaled any advice would be great
Thank you in advance
I feel like the posion whatevee it was not is running its coarse thru my body
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

You are probably getting a viral infection (also known as a cold) which does "come out of nowhere" and cause a sore throat, stuffy sinues, and runny nose. Cancer symptoms develop very slowly over time and lung cancer doesn't typically cause a stuffy, pressured feeling in the head or a crusty nose.

Anything you inhaled is also unlikely to be the culprit. As for who to see, that would be your primary care provider who can quickly put your mind at ease.

Best regards.

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to er today hoping theyd give me something to help flush whatever i inhaled out of my system which they didnt as far as i can see they gave me susafed and amoxicillin I told doctor i think she was a doctor that i inhaled some type of foreign substance thinking it was cocaine but realizing it wasnt and upon further inspection I accidentally inhaled some of the dust from whatever this substance was i feel like its eating away at my nose

It's strep throat and nothing you inhaled or ingested. Symptoms other than the throat and sinus ones are probably more the result of your anxiety disorder than anything physically wrong. It commonly takes several days for the antibiotic to kill all the strep germs. You should be feeling much better soon. You should not be concerned at all about this.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~