Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician
9385906

I often have bumps on my forehead, they are itchy, they come

Customer Question

I often have bumps on my forehead, they are itchy, they come and go and some are in my hairline, are they stress or hair products?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sometimes they can be a large as my thumb, and clear across my forehead, they are quite itchy. They go away for weeks, but seem to return when I feel really stressed, I have wandered if I were allergic to hair spray, or hair products. Deb.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

1) Since when have you been noticing these bumps on forehead and hairline ? ( duration )

2) What sort of hair products do you normally use and how often ? Has it been the case that their occurrence has coincided with use of a new hair product ?

3) Do you have dandruff ?

4) Are these bumps red and swollen and subside on their own within a span of few days and almost always itchy ?

5) What have you tried so far ?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had these large bumps from time to time for several years. I have changed hair products several times, and most recently have been using salon products that are hypo allergenic, I have never had dandruff. These bumps are red and swollen, and do go away after several days. I have most recently been applying hemp oil to the area, not sure yet if it has helped. I have also been applying vinegar to the area after I wash my face, and it seems to take away the itching. I am 66 and years old and do not have any issues with acne. I have been to a allergy specialist, and found nothing. I am reluctant to go to my family Dr. as I don't necessarily want to do the usual, this that and the other, and still find I have this same problem as in the past. No relief, just told me it was probably stress related, but it continues with no relief. I looked at many pictures of bumps on the internet and didn't see any that resembled my bumps. They are not watery, they just feel as if the tissue under the skin is swollen and stays that was for two to three days, and it is very itchy during that time. My forehead gets really red around the affected area, very noticeable, I am a working professional, and feel very uncomfortable when I am working with the public, as they always question me. In frustration, I would like to think there is some cause and effect, as well as a cure. Hope this answers some of your concerns. Thanks, Deb.

Lastly, do you have a naturally oily skin ?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have oily skin. I have had pressure behind my right eye possibly due to the swelling.

Thanks for your patience in answering my queries.

Well, I feel that these itchy bumps are most likely stress induced since what happens is that stress tends to increase sensitivity of the skin and causes more production of sebum and thereby makes it more reactive to foreign agents or chemicals as well as to the environment.

So, owing to the same reason your skin reacts badly to the use of even non- irritant hair sprays and other hair products which otherwise cause no harm to the skin and scalp of other users. So this conditions seems to be related specifically to stress and therefore you got to bring in the below mentioned changes and introductions.

1) You try to shift towards use of herbal hair products for a couple of months so as to allow the skin to become replenished and totally free from the affects of previously used chemicals.

2) Ask your physician to start you on an anxiolytic / stress controlling medication such as lexapro ( escitalopram) at dose of 5 mg once a day which is a modest dose to begin on, later the dose may be raised to 10 mg once a day a per the need and discretion of doctor. This medication will relieve you from the underlying stress thereby helping in preventing the vicious cycle of stress induced itchy bumps.

2 ) Try to use De-stressing exercises such yoga or meditation , deep breathing exercises, to help you overcome stress from within, this should help the medication in faster control over stress.

3) Stop taking too much of coffee and aerated drinks if you do so. Also avoid oily and spicy meals.

4) Apply calamine lotion gently over the skin which is affected as it will help towards faster healing of the bumps and also would control the itching. The lotion is to be used on PRN basis that is as and when required basis.

5) Make sure that you do not either poke or burst the bumps as it may lead to untoward reaction.

Kindly do as much as suggested and consult the doctor before doing the same.I am hopeful that with the use of this strategy applied over the course of 2 to 3 months you may see significant improvement in your condition.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards