Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am having weird period symptoms, so 4 months ago I was due

I am having weird period...
I am having weird period symptoms
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: so 4 months ago I was due for my period on 10/18 and nothing came, 2 days later on 10/20 I went to the bathroom and had some blood on my underwear and saw a quarter sized clot in the toilet which was weird because my periods usually taper on then get heavy for one day then taper off after 4 days, well nothing happened further with my period that day. I did a pregnancy tests and it was negative then the doctor sent me for an ultrasound that said I had thick endometrial of 15mm and a small fibroid in my uterus and a cyst on each ovary most likely physiological
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/2/2016
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

Have your periods since October been normal?

If so then I think that you need not worry ...

A single irregular period is not that unusual...

As you develop typically a follicle each month this is producing the cycle of estrogen and progesterone which control your menstrual cycle... You may have an irregularity on a given month as the follicle may not develop as the norm and may produce too little of the hormones as one possible example which would lead to an atypical menstrual cycle...

The ovarian cysts may occur when a follicle fails to rupture open at the end of the cycle.. These tend to come and go over time.. Many at the same time could fit with PCOS ( PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome ) and this may cause very irregular menses and periods of no cycle at all...

The thickness of the endometrium varies with what point in your cycle that you are in...

The small fibroid would not be of much concern at this time.. That is a muscular benign knot of sorts within the tissue of the muscular wall of the uterus. These are common. If it enlarges over time then it could become more of a concern down the road. A single small one is a common finding and not reason for you to be overly alarmed...

I hope that this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wasn't able to finish my question as I was still typing, so to continue...so after the ultrasound on 10/30 I started spotting brown for 10 days from 10/30 to 11/10 then after intercourse on 11/10 I started bleeding heavily and did so with clots for about 4 days and wrote it off as my period for that month finally. On 11/26 I noticed some discharge coming from my nipple and when I squeezed a clearish sticky liquid came out of both nipples. Again all pregnancy tests have come back negative as well as blood tests. my prolactin was normal as was my tsh and fsh and male hormone testing too. Well December I got my "period" early but it was VERY light, 2 days at most and barely filled a pad the whole time. Same type of Period beginning of January and now my February period is due and I am 6 days late????? Still having the nipple discharge also. I should say I got another ultrasound in December 12/18 and they said my uterus seemed enlarged fibroid still there but two ovarian cysts seem to have resolved in interim. they also commented that they saw tiny possible physiological cysts bilaterally on ovaries. I have also had a pelvis mri that showed a "large ovarian cyst and follicles" Would a pregnancy show on an mri? my ob wants me to repeat an ultrasound and I have that tomorrow both pelvic and abdominal. Also, is there such a thing as cryptic pregnancy where hcg never registers and the fetus doesn't show up on ultrasounds? It would show up on an mri correct? I have been scaring myself on the internet and saw the information about cryptic pregnancy. I should also mention that I have weird fluttery feelings in my pelvic area and have been nauseous the last few days. PLEASE HELP I AM SO AT A LOSS. I don't want to be pregnant but could it be possible that I am and it is being missed. I have NEVER missed a period other than when I was pregnant with my son 8 years ago. Also, can 15 seconds of possible precum get you pregnant if it was my ovulation week? That is the incident in October that I am concerned about.

Hello again,

If pregnant then it would be detected by MRI >> yes to that

It would be picked up by hcg levels too....

Late period here in February would seem only potential for a pregnancy concern ....previous events and tests would have ruled out pregnancy farther back ....

You have not been pregnant since October based on your information --- no to that !!

As to the question of whether precum might cause pregnancy I don't rely on people's estimate and if penetration occurs then I would more presume that ejacution may have occured

Separate from that issue I think that you have other periods and MRI results and hcg results that indicate you not to be pregnant from time of October ....that I think is not an issue now ....

Breast discharge may occur due to hormonal factors and sexual stimulation at times .....

Heavy bleeding around 11/10 sounds may be related to several factors ...the irregukr cycle may have failed to have you have as clearcilof slouching of endometrium / the fibroid is a factor which may often correspond to heavier periods and passing clots and the sexual activity may have been a trigger to open the cervix and allow more release of semi - trapped blood/ clots / etc....

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions

I will be happy to get back with you

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your response. Also, my latest ultrasound showed that I had a corpus luteum on my right side but yet I am late for my period by 14 days. I have taken a number of pregnancy tests all negative. Is it possible to have a corpus luteum and not have a period and not be pregnant? Can I ovulate and miss my period? I am so confused as to what is going on with my body!!!

Hello again,

Yes it is possible to ovulate and not have a period and it is a common occurrence to NOT BE PREGNANT and still miss periods ...

Periods may be irregular for a number of reasons ...

Often this may be for hormonal reasons

The pattern over say 6 months or more may give clues as to cause

The corpus luteum is the ovarian structure which releases the ovum (egg) and produces hormones estrogen and progesterone ...usually this will shrink and dissipate if pregnancy does not occur ...the drop in hormones causes you to menstruate..at times the structure may form a corpus luteum cyst however ...persisting levels of hormones from such a cyst is one possible reason outside of pregnancy to not have a menstrual cycle on a given month....

Continued follow up with your gynecologist should tell the cause ...

I hope that this is helpful

Let me know if I may be of further help

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor