Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My finger tips are swollen im sure thanks to smoking and im

Customer Question
wondering hpw bad this is...
My finger tips are swollen im sure thanks to smoking and im wondering hpw bad this is and what it means for my health and if quitting smoking will help any ? I can upload pictures to photo bucket if this helps
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
2/2/2016
Health Professional: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

It sounds that you descrube a clinical finding called clubbing .I'm guessing that you have been smoking since perhaps around age 16? 20 years of smoking can give you this type change. It tends to be chronic but still you benefit your health GREATLY to stop smoking >> yes to that ...a more bulbous appearance of finger tips and the back of the nailbed is common. I have not seen documentation of this improving per se...you may benefit to reduce it worsening ...my greater concern for you would be your lung health and health in general .At age 36 if you quit smoking then you would likely add ten years plus to your life expectancy ..that to me would be bot***** *****ne

You are welcome to upload photo to this page or to photobucket and list the reference ..I will be happy to review ...your description does sound consistent with the clinical finding of clubbing of the fingers and is common with changes associated with smoking /COPD....

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How bad is it from what u can see http://s328.photobucket.com/uploadLet me kmow if you want side profile also and whatever other angles you think are beneficial in asessing how they look i uploaded the side view also all the ones from today are dated also if u can see orevious finger and nail pics let me know what u think based on what u see thank you Im very worried cause it has gotten worse thanks to my smoking and lifestyle which doesnt promote any more than sedentary blood flow and so oxygen saturation which seems to be the case that my nails have clubbed and finger tips enlarged compred to other people my age that been smoking fot just as long as me and more than me Seems like theyre lung damage is less my guess thanks to more active ling exercising lifestyles

No, I am rather telling you to quit to ADD ten years of life expectancy!!

Quit now and you should do well!

Most ONGOING smokers will not live past age 75...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi how's it going weve spoken about my fingers and my smoking history and my life expectancy as well as my worries about getting ling cancer due to my smoking and im currently stressing my smoking history and likelihood of acquiring lung cancer due to it more so thanks to my lifestyle changes going from more positive to negative eventho amoking always having been a part of both lifestyles if u get my drift? What is the likeliness of contracting lung cancer before fifty for people who live sedentary lifestyles and who have bad eating habits , not eating a lot of bad foods but not eating enough food or drink like how much does a little nutrition affect a person who skokes compared to a smoker who eats healthy in my mind countering cigarettes begative effects on the body thabks to how nourishing properly giving the body the necessary vitamins and minerals needed to be as healthy as possible even with fact that they are smokers
Very paranoid i feel like ive done so much damage to my body the past ten years that lung cancer or some type of cancer due to smoking, for me is inevitable

Hello again !

Cancer for you is FAR FROM INEVITABLE---

Smoker for life has LIFETIME RISK OF LUNG CANCER ON ORDER OF 10 PERCENT

Non smoker risk of LUNG CANCER is less than 1 PERCENT ....

LIFETIME smoker and if you should drink heavily too the risk of other cancers are increased --- colon / stomach / laryngeal / bladden r cancers / pancreatic cancers would be all increased by combination of alcohol plus smoking ...

While many theories have come forward of healthy diet / anti-oxidant vitamins / supplements >> it has been quite elusive to PROVE PROTECTION BY DIET OR SUPPLEMENTS

You are not doomed to have any cancer !!

There is no 100 percent model of protection --- not even remotely close !!

Yes in the end SOMETHING WILL GET YOU !! That is a fact of life in afraid ...we are all mortal ....

Your risk of non cancer illness and eventual fatality such as stroke / heart attack / pneumonia/ etc remains greater risk to you in the long run vs cancer ....

Can I tell you how to avoid cancer all together ? No I can not do that ....

Stopping smoking is single biggest factor to improve your long term health however ....stop smoking reduces risk of many cancers as well as risk of progressive LUNG disease / heart disease / stroke / less risk of most cancers ( LUNG , colon, bladder, pancreatic, etc)

When we speak of reduction of risk we are looking at stats vs age!!

Your risk of heart attack by age 70 is 50 percent less if you stay rmstoppped from smoking vs smoking for example ...

If you live to age 95 then all health problems do increase of course as we get older ....there is no diet or supplement that can possibly guarantee you no risk of cancer in the long run --- no to that ...

It is thought that anti-oxidant supplements may help to protect us >> vitamin C, CoQ10, vitamin E , omega three fatty acids are thiughtvto have some protective value

A diet higher in fat especially saturated fats is considered higher risk both for cardiovascular risk and cancer risk ...

Plenty of vegetables and fruits is considered healthier >> yes to that ...

Proof of diet or anti-oxidant protection vs cancer is still lacking /// hard to PROVE such as healthy lifestyle maintained over decades is extremely difficult to quantify and evaluate reliably ....

As in your case other people may change their habits and tracks on the course of their life ...so as in your case study of these habits and behaviors long term is elusive to really quantify ....

I hope that this is helpful for you

I hope that this makes sense

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

PS If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback on this thread That allows me to get credit

Thank you and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor