Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am concerned after I suddenly became dizzy (I was sitting

Customer Question

I am concerned after I suddenly became dizzy (I was sitting at the time ), and the right side of my face, including my ear, and right arm felt numb, also my ear was burning. I had an MRI Brain and the report stated I have chronic ischaemic whit matter disease. My dr said just to take 1/2 an aspirin daily, she didn't say what it was, but I read the report the next day at home. This was 3 weeks ago, and has not occurred since. Also, over the past 6 years or so, my legs go heavy and I cant walk, but it only lasts a few moments, it happened as recently as last week. I'm thinking of seeing a different doctor, but I have been seeing my doctor 16 years now. I thought she may be a littl complacent. Can you enlightwn me please doctor.
Marilyn Perry
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

I agree with your concern and this need further evaluation by following;

1) Colored Doppler study of the neck artery called carotid artery. This will tell blood flow to the brain and if there is any narrowing. This may need a surgical procedure to open up the carotid artery. This would resolve the symptoms

2) Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA); it tells about the blood supply to various parts of the brain and diseases of brain arteries.

These medical imaging will clear the medical issue and dictate the treatment plan.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Hello again,

About your leg issue also, I would suggest to get a colored doppler study done. Your symptoms of heaviness in legs during walking is suggestive of a term we call as claudication (or intermittent claudication; which means leg heaviness go away completely with sitting or rest after the walk). This is indicative of peripheral arterial disease (PAD), which too is narrowing of arteries of legs. The brain ischemia and PAD are same spectrum of medical issue.

You may get a lipid profile blood work and check for diabetes and high blood pressure (if not diagnosed already earlier). Life style care measures like no smoking, low alcohol, good physical activity and stress free life are few suggestive which would help you in long term.

It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Hope you are doing good.

It seems that you have not read the answer.

Hope the information reaches to your email.

Thank you.

Best regards,