Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My name is ***** *****. I remember couging a couple weeks…

Customer Question
Hi, my name is...

Hi, my name is ***** *****. I remember couging a couple weeks ago and feeling a pain in my chest afterwards. It hasn't gona away since then.

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The pain is on my left side, mid rib area.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
1/29/2016
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 2 years ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

Can you tell me more?

What is your age and sex?

What medications do you take on a regular basis?

I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Schuyler

~

I'm a 32 year old male. I took tramadol recently for back pain, but the chest pain occurred before i took the meds. I'm also a smoker.

Sometimes coughing can strain muscles and result in inflammation. It's especially common where the ribs connect to the sternum (the breastbone) and the inflammation is called costochondritis. Anti-inflammatory medications like naproxen (Aleve) or inuprofen (Advil, Motrin) can help with the discomfort. Since it has been two weeks since this happened, I would suggest you see your primary provider. He or she may want to do a chest xray to make sure you don't have pneumonia that caused the coughing.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~