Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Dropped a box of canned veggies on my finger at the base of…

Customer Question
Dropped a box of canned...
Dropped a box of canned veggies on my finger at the base of nail on Monday. No problem using it that day but was sore. Area under nail is now purple and finger is slightly swollen - can't bend the last joint due to swelling. Very sore and I seem to bump it - or atleastmore aware of bumping it. Have tried ice but still puffy and sore. What should I do to reduce swelling?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
1/28/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

Bluish area is due to hemorrhage in the subcutaneous tissue.

Swelling is due to inflammation following tissue injury.

Motrin can be taken to reduce inflammation and swelling.

After a few days icing will not help.

Rest to the part is needed.

You need an X-ray to rule out fracture in the bone.

In fracture without displacement, splint can help to keep the finger straight.

You can put adhesive tape with adjacent finger till you see doctor or take an X-ray.

I hope this information helps.

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.

Regards.