Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Foot doctor, What is the best foot massager that can

Customer Question
actually bend the front of...
foot doctor, What is the best foot massager that can actually bend the front of the toes downward to give the elderly person some movement in the feet that is not typical for them? My moms big toes sort of lift upwards and it seems it is hard for her to bend them without focusing on the activity. I am afraid the foot massagers will have hard mechanisms inside when a human foot goes into the machine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Health
1/28/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

As you mentioned, foot massager may damage the tendon and ligaments in an elderly. The best way is what is termed as passive motion exercises. This means a person or physical therapist just bend them up and down (whole range of motion) by their own hands. This can be done gently by a family member also. Tiny application of a body moisturize before the passive movements would usually be recommended.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

So there is no machine .... like this for example..

http://www.brookstone.com/ineed-soothing-air-foot-massager/634915p.html

Do you have experience with hammer toes and big toes that are very inflexible or even a curved upper back returning to a better normal shape an function after repeated motion excersizes and how long does improvement take?

The whole foot massager are available. These work on the air cushion surrounding which increases and lowers the pressure of it. But machines for passive movements for toes is not available.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Which foot massager are you referring to?

All foot massager work on the same principle and mechanism of action (which you also sent link). The passive toe motion exerciser are not available.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

al most available tho... lol

http://qalmedical.com/t1-toe-cpm-device/

Great work. I was not aware about it.

Yes, this can work. Though I am not great fan of them, as sometimes they may cause mild brusing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

al most available tho... lol

I saw the link, which you sent earlier.

A mechanical continuous passive motion device in an elderly may cause injury to the muscles and ligaments. Usually this is employed for paralytics.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh well. So there's nothing non surgical for the toes to reverse their direction? Will daily repetitive manipulation of toes and some vitamins bone broth collagen etc create repairative blood flow that could begin to restore the toes ?

Passive manual manipulation does help in long term. But the results may not be visible for 3-4 weeks. Calcium and vitamin D supplements too may help.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)