A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am worried about childhood leukemia with my 5 year old. He

Customer Question

I am worried about childhood leukemia with my 5 year old. He has been pale lately, with dark circles under his eyes, and some slight bruising. His teacher even noticed how pale he is. His Bruising is less than a quarter size and appears on shins, arms, knees and elbows (really any bony spot) There aren't a lot, but he does always have a bruise of some type. They heal quickly, and he does play rough (wrestling ect..) with his siblings. . He is not lethargic, and sleeps well from 8:30 PM-7:30 AM. He has a great appetite, but is VERY PICKY. He rarely eats meat, and will refuse fruits and vegetables. He has no fevers or unexplained bleeding. He used to be a heavy milk drinker, but now rarely drinks it. I just started him on a children's multi-vitamin with 18mg iron in it. He doesn't have a fever and seems well. Should I be concerned with his paleness and bruising? I've read places that being pale and bruising are often symptoms of leukemia. I've been really worried about him lately.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Being pale and bruising is also a sign of anemia. I wouldn't worry so much about leukemia, but I would take him to the pediatrician for blood work to determine if he is anemic or not. In addition to vitamins, he may need to improve his diet. While a diet without meat can be healthy, it does require some work to make sure the vegetables and grains provide sufficient nutrition. His pediatrician may want you to consult a registered dietitian who can help you plan meals that are healthy within his food preferences. If he is a fan of smoothies (like most children), you can often hide the good veggies in with what he wants to eat.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~