Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I've been I've been dealing with pain for the past year in…

Customer Question
I've been I've been dealing...
I've been I've been dealing with pain for the past year in my neck that radiates to my shoulder down my arm its like electrical and it also constantly feeling like something is crawling on my shoulder and now its gone to the back of my head I've had numbness in my fingers to the right arm and I'm experiencing numbness to my toes on my left foot I had an MRI done and they are saying that there is diffuse disc desiccation seen through the cervical region on C3 to C4 there is also a minimal Lordotic Reversal centered at C3- C4 level and disc desiccation to c5 to c6 level there is very mild posterior somatic osteopathic ridge at the C3- C4 level. I would like to know what's going on and is it treatable? How serious is it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
1/26/2016
Health Professional: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is This is Dr. David

disc desiccation is drying of the disks which can decrease how supportive they are between the bones.

as we all get older, the disks can become more dry

an open MRI scan often can not be as clear as a closed MRI scan

3.0 Tesla MRI scanners are more detailed than 1.5 tesla MRI scanners.

I hope you had at least a 1.5 tesla closed MRI scan with contrast.

this is treatable with a comprehensive approach.

physical therapy and stretching and help improve strength in your neck and take pressure off of nerves

oral anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or aleve can help decrease inflammation, in some cases a short course of steroid therapy is needed to decrease inflammation.

sometimes a steroid epidural injection into the area can help decrease pain

weight loss and exercise can help decrease pain there.

accupuncture can help some patients with neck pain there

massage therapy or chiropractor adjustment can sometimes help.

a topical TENs unit can help distract the nerves and decrease pain.

last resort is spine surgery.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com