Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Can an antihistimine clear a autoimmune disorder rash

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
1/22/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

It is quite unlikely that an antihistamine would clear the autoimmune disorder rash. It clears the allergic rashes.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Autoimmune rashes respond to corticosteroids, immunomodulators, retinoids etc.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

my healthy 7 yr old who keeps having hives is probably some allergic reaction not a disorder? What symptoms would we look for if it was? We have been giving him Claritin and benydryl. Benydryl only when he breaks out. Claritin daily. When he ha dthen they clear up usually within hours of benydryl

It is in all likelihood an allergy. The usual associated symptoms are itching and occasional pain. The major causes of hives or urticaria are;

1) Foods or food additives

2) Inhalation, ingestion of, or contact with antigens

3) Drug reactions

4) Infections: bacterial, fungal, viral, and helminthic/parasites

5) Insects (papular urticaria)

6) Cold urticaria

7) Aquagenic (water) urticaria

8) Solar (Sun) urticaria

9) Chronic autoimmune (problems of immunity) urticaria

10) Chronic idiopathic (unknown reason) urticaria

So it is a sort of detective work to find the cause.

A chronic urticaria is treated as following;

1) A consultation with an allergist, if not yet done.
2) Avoid foods with known food allergies.
3) Avoidance of mental stress over tiredness, alcohol, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and tight-fitting garments.
4) Psychologic stress can trigger or increase itching, so taking care of those factors.
5) Night time symptoms are helped by lukewarm bathing and keeping the temperature of the bedroom slightly low.
6) Itching is significantly helped by menthol and phenol cream.
7) Non sedating antihistamines.
8) Hydroxyzine or doxepin in night time.
9) Colchicine or dapsone is given who do not respond to above.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Theybstarted out of the blue in the last month. Our derma said not to worry about testing as other moms. I was asking about symptoms of disorders though lol

There are no other symptoms majority of the times except hives or itching.

For auto immune disorders? No other symptoms

The autoimmune disorder initially may not have any symptoms except rash with itch and pain. Later on there are joint and muscle pains.

He had hives but no itching or pain

Thus it is unlikely to be autoimmune rash. Disappearance with anti histaminics substantiates it.

He had a few spots last night gave himself meds then this morning two blotches but not raised gave more Ned and went away

So confirms allergy.

I assume it is rare for a 7yt old boy to have a disorder

Yes it is rare.

A positive rating would be appreciated, as this is only way we are compensated for the time and expertize.

the fact they don't itch and he doesn't hurt and they go away with benydryl that's an allegro reaction? And sometimes they can last awhile like weeks?

Yes for both the questions.

I should quit worrying

Absolutely. You should quit worrying.

Can I ask how the derma can be so sure it's not a disorder? Just knowing my son? If you google disorders it list lots of symptoms fatigue pain weight loss or gain sleepy etc. his urine dipstick is normal too by the way

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

You idiot even answer my question
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 2 years ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

Are you still worrying about this. If you are, then stop. Your son has an allergy; the Claritin is keeping it in check. He doesn't have any other kind of disorder. He's just a healthy kid with a worrywart Mom.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

I am but I am not. I feel like the Claritin is just masking the problem and as a mom that makes me feel bad. That's all

I think you are beating a dead horse. Allergies can go on for years or even a lifetime. You take your medicine and you are fine. It isn't something to worry about. Like being left-handed, it is just something that is.

you are confident this isn't lupus or thyroid issues or rheumatic arthritis

I am totally confident it isn't lupus, thyroid issues or rheumatoid arthritis.

Have you seen the pics of that severe break out he had when he was off Claritin

Yes, I've seen all the questions and the pictures you've ever put on Just Answer. My opinion is that this is just allergies.

I've checked them all. It is allergies.

A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner