How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Onlinedoc Your Own Question
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 2856
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
Type Your Health Question Here...
Onlinedoc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 63 year old female. My RBC is 5.29, my hemoglobin is

Customer Question

I am a 63 year old female. My RBC is 5.29, my hemoglobin is 159, my hematocrit is .48. These results are consistent over the past ten blood tests. They are all slightly out of range. What are the main concerns with these kid of results? Should I have specialized follow up? If so, what sort?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.


Any associated signs and symptoms?

Any medical illness?

Are you taking any medicines?

Duration of symptoms?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tired, anxious, migraine headaches, sometimes nauseous, sometimes bruising.
All these symptoms are of long duration.
These blood results are also consistent (at least ten visits over the years). My doctor has never paid them any mind.I have reflux and an anxiety disorder. Taking pantaloc and Zoloft. Various drugs for migraines which started when I was 8.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.


These are mild increase in the levels.

In polycythemia there can be increase in the levels but there the hemoglobin level is considered to be above 16.5 gm & hematocrit level above 48.

You can see a hematologist for a complete physical examination including the assessment of body habitus (stature), vital signs, oxygen saturation, heart and lung exams, and evaluating for an enlarged spleen (splenomegaly).

Erythropoietin (EPO) blood levels may also be helpful.

Chances of any serious disease are less.

However if your tiredness,fatigue and bruising are not getting better then you should see a hematologist.

Hope this helps.

Feel free for further queries.It's good to discuss rather than quit.

Your satisfaction is our goal.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention, my Ferritin is 19. It's often been low ( between 17 and 35). Is this related somehow?
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Your ferritin levels are withing normal range.

A serum ferritin concentration below 12 ug/L is virtually diagnostic of absent iron stores.

If your Iron profile is normal then you shouldn't worry about it.

A clinical exam by Hematologist can be helpful as your tiredness,fatigue and bruising are not improving.

If you are satisfied with our conversation then bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.

Feel free for further queries.

Hope this helps.

Related Health Questions