Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I recently had 2 rather severe colds in succession each

Customer Question
I recently had 2...

I recently had 2 rather severe colds in succession each lasting three weeks with lots of coughing. I started to notice pain in my left head when I coughed that would leave after I coughed. Now I have a headache in that area that has gone on for 2 days now. What could it be?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I'm 57 years old, I have been taking ibuprofen for the headache, which comes and goes and it is pulsating in nature. I used to have migraines in my 30s but not recently.

Doctor's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
1/19/2016
Health Professional: Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)

Do you have stuffy nose,sore throat?

Phlegm at back of throat?

Pain /pressure behind eyes,forehead?

Clogged ears?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any other medications?

Any investigations so far?

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Have ongoing phlegm back of throat and still coughing, but all of this is much improved. My ears were extremely clogged but better now even though they are "ringing"
Nose was severely stuffy but mild now. I'm getting over the cold.
I take Plaquenil for mild undiffererentiated connective tissue disease.
Just as cold was starting to improve headache came on. Doing Neti pot. Some green mucous today when I did it but have noticed any other green mucous recently.
Headache is mostly on left side and top of head. I don't have facial pain.

Well as you describe,green mucus is suggesting Bacterial sinus infection.

And you need to be seen by ENT specialist for a clinical examination and if required antibiotics can be prescribed.

You should continue neti pot and add menthol steam inhalation with saline gargles.

You can take Ibuprofen alternately with Tylenol/Aspirin for pain relief.

You should do warm compresses with a heating pad on head.

Also your blood pressure should be monitored.

You should elevate your head while sleeping.

Use a humidifier in your room.

You can take OTC Sudafed.

And nasal saline spray can be helpful.

Do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment on back of neck also.

If pain is getting worse then see a doctor at ER.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any further query we can discuss it thoroughly.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Thanks.

The green mucous was minimal and hadn't had any in days. If I hadn't mentioned the mucous what would you think?

Our main concern is headache and you can try such self care measures for next one day to see if they respond.

Also monitor your blood pressure.

If your symptoms'll not improve then see your doctor for a clinical examination.

Recurrent upper respiratory tract infections can cause such headache.

Other possible causes may include Tension headache,High blood pressure,Cluster headache,Sinus headache which should be ruled out and treated accordingly.

Take OTC Aspirin.

And hydrate yourself with warm liquids.

Avoid alcohol,smoking,carbonated beverages.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.