Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hoarse voice no pain, worried, yes,

Customer Question

Customer: Hoarse voice no pain
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: worried
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

How long have you had the hoarse voice?

The cause of hoarse voice relates to inflammatory change affecting the larynx..if short term the most common reason would be viral infections.. these usually resolve over several days...

Other causes may include voice strain.. if you talk a good deal during the day ( say a teacher for example) or if you sing then that may cause it...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid I have had it for over 2 years

The duration of the symptoms helps to give clue as to cause...

Also do you smoke?

Has this been for days, weeks, months ??

OK , 2 years may be caused by reflux or you may have vocal cord polyps...

You should see an ENT specialist. They can examine the vocal cords to help identify your cause....

I would advise REFLUX PRECAUTIONS which may be helpful if high reflux may be your cause..

1) Wait 1.5 hours after you eat before you lie down...

2) Elevate the head of the bed 4 to 6 inches with blocks under the head side of the bed...this keeps the trunk elevated a bit when you lie down at night and any position it helps to prevent stomach fluids and acid from flowing up the esophagus to the back of the throat...

3) Avoid GI irritants >> alcohol, coffe, hot spicy foods,or acidic foods...( tomato products, onions, peppers, citrus fruits)

Medicines such as Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec may reduce the stomach acid production but these do not stop reflux itself..

I would advise you to consult an ENT specialist to take a look and see what is going on with your vocal cords at this time however...

Do you use your voice much in your work? prolonged daily talking, yelling or singing could cause vocal cord strain...

With it being 2 years then you may have more of a chronic issue such as polyps..

main potential concern would be laryngeal cancer.. ( higher risk for that if you are heavy smoker and drinker..)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do not drink

I hope that this information is helpful for you.

Let me know if you have further questions for me...

I will be happy to get back with you...

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

OK it is helpful that you do not drink....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. your response has been superb

You are very welcome! I hope that the reflux precautions may help the hoarseness to settle down for you! I hope that you get in soon to have an ENT check the vocal cords and that you get excellent care!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD