How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Bray, MD Your Own Question
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 10341
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Anthony Bray, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Probably you can't help, as the issue is my 34 adult son who

Customer Question

Customer: Probably you can't help, as the issue is my 34 adult son who is refusing a mental health evaluation. Over the years, counselors have suggested he might be bi-polar, is mostlikely ADHD and has mood disorders. His behavior is disrupting family gatherings and I may have to ban him from them.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is divorced. I don't put all blame on him. His pastor father-in-law was a force to reckson with & the ex-wife didi not support him but my son does have control issues. He is now living with a Russian gal who has an expired visa, mo job and is totally dependent on him. On their trip here for Xmas (5 hrs.) he wouldn't allow them to eat lunch or take restroom breaks the whole time. He also made fun of Jesus, refused to exchange gifts with his sister, and made fun of our opening gifts. He no longer is a Christian, since the divorce. We tried to golf together but he now has said, he doesn't want to golf with women anymore, meaning his sister & me. I don't know what else to do but ban him from Christmas (& maybe more holidays, until he seeks help.)
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.


From what you describe I agree with your conclusion that he should probably be excluded from family gatherings. It sounds that he is for whatever reasons mean and anti-social.

Not completely excluding possibility for positive future change I suggest that you write him a letter. You may see benefit IF he should ever be willing to seek counseling.

As things sound from what you state it sounds that it is unfortunately destructive relationship for you and other family members ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns or discussion

I Will be happy to get back with you

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD