I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
The abnormal sensation is termed as paresthesia. Your symptoms are suggestive of neuropathy or pinched nerves in back. Pinched nerves can be due to disc disease or degenerative changes in the spine. Following are the causes of neuropathy;
2) An underactive thyroid gland
3) Excessive use of alcohol
4) Thiamine deficiency
5) Vitamin B 12 deficiency (pernicious anemia)
6) Vitamin B 6 (pyridoxine) taken in excessive amounts
7) Drugs, medications, herbs
8) Autoimmune diseases
9) Heavy metals such as lead and mercury.
Following investigations are done for diagnosing the issue;
1) Electromyography/nerve conduction studies (EMG/NCS)
2) MRI of the spine and brain
3) blood glucose and glycosylated hemoglobin
4) serum B12 level with methylmalonic acid (with or without homocysteine),
5) serum protein electrophoresis
6) Anti-nuclear antibody
7) Lyme testing
8) Rheumatoid factor
9) Sjogren's syndrome testing (Anti-Ro, Anti-La Antibodies)
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.