Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

My 3 yo daughter has a small spot on the sole of her foot.

Customer Question

My 3 yo daughter has a small spot on the sole of her foot. It is not raised like a mole, it is flat, brown/dark brown in color, has jagged edges, is a little bigger than a pencil eraser and does not hurt. We took her in to her pediatrician and he says it's not a blood blister and to take her to a dermatologist ASAP. Unfortunately, with it being a holiday, we cannot even call to get an appointment for a over 4 days.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Associated itching?

Any history of injury?

Since how long has she been suffering from?

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No itching or pain. No recent injuries. Noticed it about 24 hours ago. She has been at home and wearing socks so not sure how long she has had it. Hasn't worn any shoes that could irritate her either.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

I can understand your concern.

Well as you describe,possible causes may include Simple nevus,early stage of seborrheic keratosis,hematoma.

All these conditions are not life threatening.

And you can wait for few days to see a dermatologist with appointment.

You can soak her foot in warm water for 5 minutes and gentle clean it with betadine solution and dry it.

She can wear soft cushioned shoes.

As there is no pain,itching,swelling around it then you shouldn't worry.

In case she develops any associated symptoms or spot is getting bigger in size then see a doctor ASAP.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She does not have any of the symptoms of seborrheic keratosis. Would she need to have hurt it for it to be a hematoma? It's not a growth but rather a discoloration (dark one at that)
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

A hematoma is an abnormal collection of blood outside of a blood vessel causing such discoloration.

It can occur in mild injury also without knowing.

Her symptoms are not life threatening if she has no other spots on body or this spot is getting bigger in size.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from the picture, it is not a mole or anything "suspicious"? Her pediatrician did not think it was from any kind of injury/trauma. The spot hasn't grown from when I first noticed it but it wasnt there a few days ago. If it were to grow, does that happen within a matter of days or weeks? Would it have such rough edges?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Well mole or anything serious like melanoma doesn't appear in 24 hours.

Biopsy can be done to determine the exact cause.

Otherwise you can consider wait and watch approach if it's not getting bigger.

Hope this helps.