Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Self employed 40 years experience Ob-Gyn
88055251

Seeking EXPERT PLEASE ASAP. I'm a 66 year old male with a

Customer Question

Seeking EXPERT PLEASE ASAP.

Hi, I'm a 66 year old male with a chronic sinus infection, some allergies, and several other serious chonic medical conditions who lives in a place with 12 year old, nearly wall-to-wall carpeting-- which is "entry level" quality but in very good shape.

I'm scheduled to have the carpet professionally cleaned with hot water next Monday, but, want to make sure that it is being done "properly."

If I understand correctly, it's critical that the water/moisture does NOT get down to the carpet backing and absolutely does not get any of the padding wet.

1) IS THAT CORRECT?

2) And, how HOT does the water need to be to be effective for cleaning.

3) And, some companies have claimed that it will dry in 2-3 hours while the person whom I have scheduled said that their's will take 24 hours to dry?  Does that mean that they are either getting the carpet too wet (too deep) and/or not extracting enough water afterwards?  Or, is 24 hour "dry" time still ok?

Please let me know, ASAP.  Thank you very much

Jon

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr M, obgyn and know a lot about carpets after some unfortunate incidents. The firm will use water (100 degrees plus) and then draw most of it out of the carpet after the service. It should left to be dried for about five hours and some fans are optional. It's no problem in your situation as compared to someone that finds a flooding of carpeting from a leak.