Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My doctor stopped my Cellcept about a week ago due to GI…

My doctor stopped my...

My doctor stopped my Cellcept about a week ago due to GI problems. I'm taking it for CNS lupus and my symptoms seem to be coming back. He said this shouldn't happen, and is out of town until next week.

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The cns symptoms developed slowly over a period of several months, and originally everyone just thought it was depression. I knew it wasn't because of the severe cognitive issues that involved - a neighbor said it was like watching someone have a slow stroke. I had difficulty spelling and writing initially, along with apathy. Then I stopped finishing sentences, couldn't find words, started stuttering (never an issue before), unable to answer questions or explain things, memory issues... I was started on 40mg of Prednisone and Cellcept therapy increased to 1.5 g a day

Doctor's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

I'm sorry to have wasted your time. I can't afford that. Thanks anyways.

The Prednisone was dropped to 30mg several weeks ago. I also take Plaquenil. I only started the higher Pred and the Cellcept in the middle of November of this year.
12/22/2015
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Your symptoms can be considered CNS flare up of lupus.

Prednisone dose should be doubled at least since cellcept was discontinued.

You should go to the ER given the worsening of symptoms.

IV steroids also can be started for faster response.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist