Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine at Self employed
61885400

My dad is in the hospital with 0.14 heart enzymes. s blood

Customer Question

My dad is in the hospital with 0.14 heart enzymes. His blood pressure is great, pulse great, oxygen great etc. he had a ct and chest x rays that showed nothing along with an ekg. All of these is good, he woke up this morning very lightheaded and dry heaving so they went to the er, the dr. now wants to do an ultrasound and MRI, which I doubt he will be able to do. These exact symptoms happened 3 years ago and they took blood and his Vitamin D was extremely low, he received a prescription and has been good ever since. Why do they now think it could be a heart attack?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Heart attacks don't always go along with typical chest pain symptoms. Thus it is good care to take him to the ER in the first place since he was not well at all.

But with normal heart enzymes and EKG a heart attack is very unlikely. It is still a good idea to control the heart function with ultrasound (sometimes the valves don't work properly), but I don't see any reason for an MRI. Sometimes it is a money issue (you earn a lot with MRIs), sometimes insecurity of unexperienced doctors, sometimes a hospital routine. I would ask the doctors if they have a real good reason for the MRI, if not, I would advice not to have it done.

I wish your father the very best!

I am sure you were quite happy to read my reassuring answer the day before yesterday. Is there any question still open? Feel free to ask! If not please give a postive feedback by clicking hopefully five stars for my help. Thank you very much and all the best for your dad!