Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My mother is 72 years old and a great person. But she is on

Customer Question
a lot of different medications...
My mother is 72 years old and a great person. But she is on a lot of different medications ranging from pain management to ones for her breathing. She still is able to drive but her reaction time is getting worse and worse. I don't want to rob her of her freedom to be with her friends or go to the store but I most certainly don't want her to cause an accident. Of course when I speak to her she blows it off and resists the idea of not driving or seeing a doctor to analyze her brain activity. I'm not sure where to turn or what to do... legal help, doctor help... someone else?!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Health
12/11/2015
Health Professional: Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician

I'm sorry to hear about this

Do you have a list of her medication?

This may not be 100% accurate but close.Percocet ?
Fentanyl 25 mcg
Spiriva
Advair
Dalirasp 500 mcg
Synthroid 12 mgs
Lipitor 40 mgs
Metformin 500 mcg
Gabapentin 800 mcg
Lexapro 20 mcg
Trazadone 50 mg
Meloxicam 15 mg
Fosamax 10 mg
Flonase 50 mcg
Lisinopril 5 mg
Promethazine 12.5 mg
Oh and she smokes close to two packs a day

The medication she is on is likely to impair her ability to drive if she takes all of them together, I would recommend you have her see a doctor to evaluate her, and recommend her drivers license be revoked if he deems it appropriate

What kind of Doctor? Her GP says she is fine which I have a problem believing. Can they actually make a directive to revoke driving privileges? Also is it a neurologist that can scan her brain for activity or signs of damage / Alzheimer's? Is that worth doing? Thanks.

I apologize for my late response. I think a neurologist would be the best type of doctor to see, so they could perform a mental exam

Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician