Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I just gave birth and was told I tested positive for THC.

Customer Question

I just gave birth and was told I tested positive for THC. They have attempted to collect a urine sample on my son via urine bag but have had no success (peed mid diaper change, etc). However, he has urinated 5 times already. How long will his urine test positive for THC after birth?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

in animal studies, fetal blood and tissue THC concentrations are around 10% lower than maternal blood levels

your baby's urine THC levels will depend on how often you use, if you continue to use and if you breast feed or not.

meconium that is collected within the first 2 days of life can be used to detect maternal cannabis use from the second trimester onwards

Neonatal hair samples can also be examined for evidence of exposure during the last trimester of pregnancy, as this is when fetal hair grows.

it is unknown how long his urine will stay positive for THC. that will depend on how much you used and if you used close to delivery